Friday, October 17, 2014

My definition of entrepreneurship

I did not decide to become an entrepreneur by choice, entrepreneurship found me.   I was 49, had a fantastic job as a chief planning officer of a $5 billion company, and everything was going in the right direction.

Then it happened when I was listening to the Notre Dame vs Alabama NCAA championship football game. I wanted to see how far people would go to express the loyalty of their favorite team.  There was no platform in existence so I decided to build one.

Backing yourself to create a business in a market that does not exist is my definition of entrepreneurship.  Having an idea is one thing, executing it in the face of uncertainty is another.  It is almost 2 years later and what have I learned?

Real entrepreneurship is rare indeed.

You have to be willing to walk into unknown territory without any protection.  You leave your job and your income behind. You put a second mortgage on your house.  You leave behind an industry you worked in for 20 years, built contacts in, and gained respect.  You smile when people tell you that you don't know what you're doing.

One important note:

You also can benefit from non-financial support.  From a family that says go for it.  From a business partners who take similar risks with thier lives and careers. Note that the I's above quickly became we's.

Entrepreneurship has been far more rewarding than I ever thought it could be. Our company has still not made it big but the experience has made me grow in numerous ways.

Yes I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment